Martin Angove

Default How soon can I tile a new concrete floor?

In message ,
(Jon Weaver) wrote:

Martin Angove wrote in message ...
In message ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Jon Weaver wrote:

Can anyone comment on this? Bearing in mind that the lengh of the
inslated cable is less than 10", is it really a concern? I guess that
a consideration is that the insluation won't be 'surrounding' the
cable, instead it will simply be on top... A crude cross section of
the installation is as follows:

----------------
Ceramic Tiles
----------------
Adhesive
----------------

Screed

----------------

Insulation

----------------
++++++++++++++++ DPC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Metal Capping
================ 2.5mm Cables (Layed side by side)
----------------

Concrete

----------------

Why not lay them in the screed then?

According to table 3A in the On Site Guide, PVC cable is "unsuitable for
embedding directly in concrete".

Oh no.. It never stops... However, I am not actually 'embedding
directly in concerete' though.. I have layed the cable on solid
concerete and put metal caping over the top to protect it. The capping
is nailed down and sealed with silicon for good measure.. Once the
screed is poured, it won't actually be in contact with the cable,
because the metal capping will form a 'channel' in the screed.. Its
not 100% watertight, so I guess, during the pour, some amount of
water/sand/cement will get under the capping, but the cable will not
end up 'encased' as such.

Do you think that this is a problem? If it is, its not to late to take
it up and bring it along the wall, instead of the floor.

Didn't realise you'd already decided not to lay it under the insulation
:-)

I'd say that what you describe sounds fair enough. Let us know in ten
years if it fails ;-)

Hwyl!

M.

--