dadiOH

Default Hardwood floor refinish issue

wrote:
I have an older home, built in the 30's, that has hardwood flooring in
the living room. The floor was previously stained quite dark, and had
big scratches. Additionally, I removed a floor furnace and it left a
large hole in the floor along the wall by the entrance to the kitchen.

I hired a refinisher to come in and do the following: repair/fill the
hole then sand and coat the entire living room floor with
polyeurethane to natural color (that was his suggestion).

He did a great job except for one thing. The wood he used to repair
the hole where the furnace used to be is quite a bit lighter than the
existing wood. As in, the original wood is almost an orangish-red
and the new wood is nearly white.

He indicates that the new wood will yellow with age (or darken), but I
have my doubts. It seems to me that the new wood should more closely
match the existing wood RIGHT FROM DAY ONE. Am I off base here?
Should I pay him the balance for his work, or should I demand that he
replace the new lighter wood with something closer in color? Thanks!

It is true that most woods darken after a few months exposure to light.
However, the old wood was stained and the stain was sanded off. That
means any darkening due to sunlight was also sanded off and both it and
the new wood are raw. They should be similar in color.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at