Default sanity check on discard of my VCR

ProdigySBC:
Power supply problems are "usually" some of the simplest and least
expensive repairs on a VCR for an experienced shop tech.... not always,
but usually.
The SLV-740HF is an excellent VCR and will easily outperform just about
any new, cheaply built machine regardless of price...
..... so I guess my suggestion to you is to TAKE it to a service shop
for, at the very least, a repair cost estimate, usually the price of a
cleaning, so you can make an intelligent repair decision with facts
instead of guesses.
If you want to give this a go yourself then you should visit the
website for this newsgroup at:
http://www.repairfaq.org/
there, with some searching you will find a wealth of troubleshooting
tips, repair proceedures, component testing methods and important
safety information.
Note that this VCR uses a switch mode power supply, or SMPS, and is not
as straightforward to troubleshoot and repair as a simple linear supply
so if this is beyond your patience level then, BEFORE you "do further
damage" at least get a repair cost estimate from a shop before you make
a decision to keep and fix or to discard.
electricitym
..
..
..