Tom Miller

Default Pearlitic C Clamps

"Rudolf Moehs" wrote in
message
I wanted some c clamps to mig weld to a steel
plate, I got some clamps
that say pearlitic on them and the person I
bought them from said
they're steel and weldable. I know cast can be
welded to steel but don't
have the know how to do it and just want to deal
with steel to steel,
what is this stuff called pearlitic, is it
really steel?

Thanks,
Rudy

From an old university text book that I haven't
opened for about 30 years, it appears that
pearlite is a form of steel formed by slow
cooling. It is more ductile and less brittle than
martensite which is formed on quick cooling. I'd
guess that it will weld OK, but pack some
insulation around it after welding and let it cool
slowly.

Tom