Colbyt

Default Reconnect cutoff drain pipe

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm working on redesigning my kitchen - 1950's brick ranch with
basement (MI). It appears the previous owners moved the sink from the
east to the south wall of the kitchen. This makes for a very limited
kitchen layout, so I would like to move it back.

There is a 3" drain that was cutoff flush with the basement floor
directly under the old sink location. It was sealed with, as best I
can describe it, "cloth gunk" when I bought the house. I capped it
with an expanding gasket. The gunk would get wet if the drainline
backed up, so this tells me it is still connected under the basement
floor.

The current stack is on the south wall near the existing kitchen sink
and next to the laundry tub in the basement.

I see my best options to move the sink as:

1. Run PVC straight down to the old pipe. Use a Fernco doughnut (or
something similar) to seal 2" pvc to the inside of the 3" cast iron.
2. Run PVC straight down. Break up the floor around the old pipe and
install an external coupling.
3. Run PVC down, turn 90 degrees horizontally (with propery slant)
about 8', turn 90 degrees right, run about 5' to the existing stack and
tie in there.

For all options I would install a Studor vent under the sink.

Option one seems the easiest. Would this work? I would really like to
avoid having to cut into the stack.

Any help is appreciated.

I am not aware of any donuts that will work. The 2" one might since the ID
of a 3" pipe is close to the ID size of a 2" hub. There may be other
options I am not aware of at a real plumbing supply house. If you can find a
fit that is just a little oversized you can always trim the rubber a bit to
fit. I have been forced to do this a time or two with untrue sized hubs.

If you have to break away the floor you will only need to go about 2" deep
for a Fernco coupling to work.

I would suggest that before you tackle any of these that you open the pipe
and make sure it can handle a strong flow from a garden hose. It would be a
real pity to find a broken or plugged line After you did all the work.

If you find a solution be sure to post back to the same thread for the
education of myself and others.

Colbyt