GregS

Default Thermal Grease/Adhesive (?)

In article , clifto wrote:
GregS wrote:
I have seen the white stuff dry out plenty of times. Its sure easy to
spot and feel. If you can't smear it then it must be removed.

I noticed the CPU temperature on my main computer going a bit high a few
months ago. I checked, and sure enough the heat sink grease had dried
out. Replaced it and all was well.

If its still good, I would just even out the stuff and reapply components.

Disagree. Where it's needed, it's critical; it's cheap enough that
replacing it in critical places is well worth while.

i suppose the fluid helps to also fill in gaps having to fit into the compound mix
of dry materials. Having dried out may not always be a problem. There should be very little actual
compound that sits between flat surfaces. Its almost totally trapped in. if the surfaces
are poor, and the strength of the compression is poor, I think it would dry
out quicker. Probably a good choice for gasket type pads.

greg