mike hide

Default Wood grain filler

"B Moody" wrote in message
I like Behlens because it is plain color (nearly white) and I can mix in
stain, test a piece, and get exactly the color I want. I live in the
boonies and couldn't find any around here, even at the paint stores, so I
finally sent off. Can't remember to who, but it warn't cheap.

In an earlier life I used to do quite a bit of antique furniture refinishing
and used simple plaster of paris to fill the grain then go over it with raw
linseed oil which renders it colorless .This works fine for a while and was
used extensively in victorian times as a cheap filler for french polished
pieces .

The problem with this technique is that over the years the oil leeches into
the wood leaving the white plaster residue in the pores. To solve this
problem is very difficult and due to it being at the very base of the finish
complete stripping is required and thats a good start . Due to this problem
most pieces are left as is, if the problem is mentioned then a knowlegible
dealer will probably the piece just needs a "touchup " . I most cases it is
easier to touchup his secretary than the piece of furniture.

As mentioned by Mr Moody I too have some of Behlens pore filler I think it
is called porolac or similar . I have used it on pieces that I have french
polished through the years. As I now shoot laquer finishes I am not sure of
its effect on my final finishes as it contains linseed oil and generally
laquer and any kind of oil do not live together very well .The result is a
feature called "fisheye"

One other note coloring the filler with stain similar to the color of the
stained wood is fine in my estimation but generally leaves the piece
looking flat .many people like antique pieces because how they look .To get
this look I use a black filler and stain a little lighter to compensate for
the general darkening caused by the filler . The reason I use black filler
is because the pores in old pieces are also filled with black filler , why
black filler ? years and years of exposure to coal and wool smoke and dust
and then being trapped by a fresh coat of wax every now and then ...mjh