Appliance Repair Aid

Default Installing new/old GE Profile stove top - 6 wires?!

wrote:
HELP!

please.

I just purchased an old GE Profile stove top (unused, but discontinued)
from a Kitchen & Bathroom place (cleaning house). If anyone cares,
it's model# J66RP1BG. They didn't have the manual(s) for it - go
figure - and GE doesn't have them online. Now I can't figure out how
the wiring goes because there are 2 wires that I don't know what to do
with. Internet searches have come up empty too.

Coming out of the wall I have the ground, red, black, and white which
is to be expected.

The old cook top went into a fuse box under the counter, but I think it
was wired wrong because not all the burners worked, and I would like to
do this right. The former owners of this house weren't too bright
from what I've found.

Coming out of my "new" cook top are 6 wires: white, red, black, orange,
and yellow, plus ground. Can anyone out there tell me:
1. what connects to what?
2. how should the fuses or breakers (preferred, I know) be hooked up?

I figured that each of the red, white, black, and grounds would line up
(although I don't know if there should be fuses between any of them),
but then what do I do with the orange and yellow?

Thank you for any and all assistance you can offer.

Tyler McEwan.

Hi,

Is the wire diagram that comes with the unit still there? If yes, that
will show where the wires go to. Extra wires often powered the lights (
hot surface, ect ) on the cooktop. Is the breaker box with the unit?
Install manual says "call to order" on the GE web site.
http://www.applianceaid.com/phone.html

800-626-2002 from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. EST Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5
p.m. EST Saturday, and 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. EST Sunday

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/