Arch

Default Musing about "that one last cut" --take it or leave it?

I've made too many 'not quite as good as I could do' turnings. Not bad,
but not great. I guess the major reason is an abundance of caution to
not lose all the time and work I had already put into the piece, but is
giving up 'good' to assure 'something less than good' make any sense for
a hobby turner?

I think not, so why do I do it? The old belt & suspenders thing?
Satisfaction with the ordinary? Rather three average instead one good?
Hate of waste? Timidity? Sloth? Ignorance? Incompetence? What?

I realize that a bowl sitting untouched on a high shelf can hide or
compensate for much 'less than good' work and many won't know anyway,
but if any of you feel some guilt or are not entirely satsfied with a
slightly clunky bowl you've turned with caution, why did _you do it?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter