Ned Simmons

Default flame cutting guide with speed governor

In article 7H83f.186327$p_1.17709
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com,
says...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have never heard of a clockwork governor much less seen one. But
from the description it sounds as if it has small wheels which are
geared to an escapment and balance wheel similar to a watch or
non-penduleum clock.

The closest thing I can think of that might be adapted would be a
childs toy car with a flywheel for power. A flywheel would smooth out
my erratic movements when using a cutting torch.

Nah... those governors were common on a lot of things that had to control
motion smoothly -- even down to revolving doors.

They worked on the principle of a flying-ball governor. Usually, the
"balls" were spring-loaded weighted brake shoes rotating inside a fixed
brake drum. (like a centrifugal clutch) The system naturally resists
spinning above a certain speed. Gear-up trains from the work to the
governor provided the correct "work" speed vs. the braking rpm of the
governor itself.

The dial on rotary telephones was another common use. In
those that I've taken apart there was a tiny worm and wheel
doing the speed-up.

Ned Simmons