Eric R Snow

Default flame cutting guide with speed governor

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:36:38 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

In his book "Shop Savvy" Roy Moungovan of Popular Science describes a flame
cutting guide which has a "clockwork governor" which travels a constant speed
regardless of irregularities in your pulling action. It is a magnetically
mounted device. It's pictured but not named on p. 58 of the edition I have. What
a great thing, but unfindable. Said to be a commercial product, I can find no
mention of it on the Web or anywhere in the Land of Google.

1. Anyone know what this device actually is, or where to get one?
2. How could such a speed governor work?

GWE

I wonder if the governor works like the ones on music boxes. The
little fan driven through gears so that it spins much faster that the
shaft being governed. Not completely clockwork, but pretty close.
ERS