Brian Lawson

Default Air Lifting

Hey Steve,

Well, I see lots of advice has been given already, so I'll leave any
suggestions about your actual "question".

I would ask for a clarification though. What's this "water" used for?
If it is to be potable, them any use of air injection should be well
thought out, as air is a carrier and nutrient of many forms of
undesirable bacteria, and any compressed air that is not of a surgical
grade will no doubt have contaminants from the compressor/tank itself.
I know I wouldn't want to drink what comes out of the air-line on mine
for sure!! And besides, as has been discussed here on RCM before,
using compressed air you've generated is not very economical of
energy. It is an expensive method of transferring energy.

As to the reason you are contemplating doing this...is it just for the
"off-season" use and need for water in the cabin? If so, why not a
marine/RV diaphragm type pump in line with a "55 gallon" ground level
tank (the 55 gallons was what I think you describe as having already).
They are readily available in 12VDC or 115VAC with a pressure switch
to provide a relatively constant pressure in the lines. Assuming that
the "seasonal" water supply is due to the freezing hazard, this would
seem to make it more convenient in my estimation.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
tOn Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:08:03 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I want to lift water about 20 feet from my truck to the storage tank on the
second floor of my cabin.

I used to be a commercial diver, and have used many types of "airlifts."
This is a device where a suction is created by venturi-ing air into a line
in the direction you want it to flow. In real underwater conditions, the
air expands as it rises, increasing the suction power. It really sucks up
whatever is in front of the nozzle.

I was playing with the idea of buying a pump that I could pump water from my
truck tank up to the storage tank of the cabin. (This is just for winter
use. In the warm months, there is a water system.) I am running into the
problem that a lot of them just don't have a lot of head pressure. And they
cost a lot. And they require special plumbing connectors. A small
compressor would not have to put out a lot of air to lift the water in a
1/2" line and get it to rise up. The bubbles will push the water up and
rise automatically.

Anyone else ever done this? Venturiing is a good way to make suction
devices for all manner of applications, and they are really safe because
they just use air or water.

Steve