Dave Plowman (News)

Default Immersion heater question

In article ,
Barry Young wrote:
Now I understand that this heater is only meant as a
"top-up", but presumably if you give it long enough, the water in the
cylinder should equilibrate anyway? Because in the short-to-medium
term, I thought I might as well just use the top immersion heater,
then get a "Professional" in to replace the pair of them (or the
cylinder...) when that one goes.

If the top mounted one has only a short element, it will only heat some of
the tank. Strange, given that water tends to circulate, but nevertheless
true.

That was the idea of the two - the lower one to heat the whole tank, the
top one just for when you only needed a small amount of hot water.

There are/were also twin length top mounting types to do the same thing.

It might be possible to remove the top one and replace it with a full
length type - they're cheap enough.

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.