Barry Young

Default Immersion heater question

Hi everybody,

My flat's hot water is provided solely by a hot water cylinder with
two immersion heaters in it. Until now, only the bottom one was wired
up - the top one may have been at some point, but certainly not since
I've moved in. I'm on Economny 7, btw, and I understand the rationale
behind the two immersion heater set up.

Okay, so recently, the bottom immersion heater died on me. I think it
was probably to do with a faulty timer (which was always ON!) and
possible a suspect thermostat. I've tried putting a new thermostat in,
but no joy. I also tried removing the immersion heater to replace
after reading the many posts here on the subject. It's stuck, and I'm
scared (and there are wolves outside). Then it occurred to me, why not
just wire up the top immersion heater? So I did, and it seems to be
working fine. Now I understand that this heater is only meant as a
"top-up", but presumably if you give it long enough, the water in the
cylinder should equilibrate anyway? Because in the short-to-medium
term, I thought I might as well just use the top immersion heater,
then get a "Professional" in to replace the pair of them (or the
cylinder...) when that one goes.

What do yers reckon?