mm

Default Installing new/old GE Profile stove top - 6 wires?!

On 11 Oct 2005 18:01:01 -0700, wrote:

Coming out of my "new" cook top are 6 wires: white, red, black, orange,
and yellow, plus ground. Can anyone out there tell me:
1. what connects to what?
2. how should the fuses or breakers (preferred, I know) be hooked up?

Edwin's answer is good, but I'm pretty conservative. I would use an
ohmmeter before hooking anything up to see which wires are connected
to which. Part of a multimeter. You definitely should have one, and
they start at 10 or 20 dollars, which is good enough. Most sold now
are digital with auto-polarity, so with direct current, you don't have
to connect the leads right. Of course this will be Alternating
Current. They all have a range greater than 220, but check. And with
220, don't touch the metal part of live wires. They can kill you a
lot faster than 110.

I know barely anything about stoves, per se, except to ask, does this
one have a clock? Possibly theorange and yellow are for the clock??
Or maybe not. My stove doesn't work that way. It's a 220 volt stove,
of course, and it uses one of the hot leads and the ground to get
approximately 110 which it uses to run the clock. It works fine that
way, but maybe others do it differently.

Try following the wires to see where they go. Take the back off the
rear part to see, if the knobs or clock is back there. You can see
what color wires go to the clock or any other gizmo this stove has.
If they aren't orange and yellow, forget what I said above.

Make a drawing or chart of all this. After you measure everything and
note everything you can see, then you can sit down and figure it out.
If you can't figure it out completely, then follow Edwin's advice.big
grin

And lift the range top to look at more wires. I find it hard to
believe that the previous owners rewired the stove so that all burners
didn't work. It seems more likely that the receptablces fo those
burners lost thier springineess and didn't make contact with the the
plug each burner has. Mine was tempermental for years, and I finally
had the time to get a new receptacle (connector). That's why they
sell them, because they wear out. I haven't had this happen; but
I'm sure burners can burn out also.

I figured that each of the red, white, black, and grounds would line up
(although I don't know if there should be fuses between any of them),
but then what do I do with the orange and yellow?

Thank you for any and all assistance you can offer.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.