Martin H. Eastburn

Default metal in the microwave (was " cleaning NOS cutting torch tips")

I suppose the sharp edges of gold rings on cups are the edges themselves and not
the band of metal that fuses and pops. I think currents are generated
and arcs are another thing. Steel is high enough to inhibit current - eddy currents...
Al gold and copper isn't .

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

jw wrote:
The real problem area are sharp points that concentrate the microwave
energy and act as lightening rods and various small pieces of metal like
twist ties and metallic trim on plates which will overheat.

This is exactly it. As long as there are not regions of significantly
different potential, there will be no arcs. Smooth transtions will not
cause arcing.

If you want to prove it tear off a piece of aluminum foil and stick it
in the microwave. Nothing will happen. Now take the same piece and
crumple it up and flatten it back out loosely. There will be all sorts
of wild arcing across the peaks.

JW