Speedy Jim

Default Dripping heard when draining tub

bigredmoose wrote:
I have a problem. When I run a shower or when I drain the tub on the
top floor, I hear dripping on the floor below. If i put the plug in
first, and then run the water, I hear no dripping. This leads me to
believe that the problem is not with the water supply but with the
drain. Forgive me if I'm using newbie terms, I really don't know what
I'm doing. A colleague of mine, who just moved into a new house has the
same issue, and he feels that it is just water dripping within the
trap. As info, my house is about 7 yrs old but I've only been in for 2
months, and the dripping has happened the whole time I've been there.

Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance.

A 7 yr old house no doubt has plastic (PVC/ABS) drain piping.

Very often, "dripping" noises can be heard from water falling
*inside* the pipe (not leaking out) because plastic piping
transmits noises so well, rather than absorbing them.

If you don't see signs of wetness anywhere, chances are
this is what's happening.

Jim