Bill Leonhardt

Default A Poor Man's Truck -- seeking opinions on foldable trailer

NEM,

I, too have the same trailer, but I keep mine folded in the rear of my
garage. I use it a few times a year to haul extra kayaks for friends on
group paddles. I mostly haul my wood in the back of my Dodge Grand Caravan,
however I view this trailer as a back-up to that process. I definitely
would use the trailer to haul things like dirt, concrete blocks, etc.

I think that the structural integrity of this trailer is fine, however, when
I bought mine from HF in 2002, it was rated at 990lbs max load capacity not
1175lbs., so what you get now may be different.

I added a 3/4" plywood floor to mine but have yet to make the stake sides
(although I have a set of locking brackets for the future sides). I also
added small, stubs to the stake receivers to attach my old kayak racks that
used to fit on my old Caravan rain gutters but don't fit my current van. I
may, someday, extend the tongue to better haul the kayaks.

With just the 3/4" floor attached, I find I can fold and un-fold the trailer
OK but it is getting heavy and, at 59 years old, it is just on the edge of
my capabilities for folding safely alone. With two people, no problem.

All in all I am pleased with this trailer and wouldn't hesitate to buy one
again if needed. I am very comfortable driving it around town and on short
trips, but I worry about the 12" wheels on really long, high speed trips.

I have a set of photos of my assembly process. If you're interested, email
me and I'll send them to you.

Bill Leonhardt

"Lawrence Wasserman" wrote in message
In article .com,
Never Enough Money wrote:
I've had to be creative (and borrow neighbor's trucks a lot) to haul my
lumber. I also have a small garage. While browsing today I found a
foldable trailer
(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90154).
Hmmm. Anybody in rec.woodworking have an opinion on this thing? Seems
big enoulg to carry my 4x8 baltic birch. Plus I can store it in the
garage.

Is it a hassle to fold it and un-fold it?

Is it pretty stable?

Is it a piece of junk?

I have the same trailer and I am very pleased with it though I do not
use the folding feature. I can tell you that to fold it, you would
need to remove whatever stake sides you have installed, and then
remove 2 bolts from each side (4 total) from the lower portion of the
trailer. The bolts are not terribly difficult to reach but it would be
a slight hassle it seems to me. As far has handling on the road, the
trailer works fine behind my tiny Ford Aspire.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland