Timbo

Default Faulty TV aerial distribution amplifier?

"John Laird" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:53:25 GMT, "Timbo"
wrote:

OK so I'm planning to buy a new TV distribution amplifier. Can I get a
little help?

My existing one (assumed faulty) boasts a frequency range of 40-900MHz.
Maplin have a 6-way and an 8-way model (nos YZ86T and KR20W), both with a
frequency range of 47-230MHz.I've seen other models on ebay quoting near
the 900Mhz top end.
a) is the much lower top end of the range on the Maplins a problem for TV
signals? I'm afraid I've no idea whether it's important or not.

That sounds like the FM range. It doesn't even get into the TV band,
which
would be a slight problem if it was indeed all the unit could manage ;-)
minute's Googling turned up the spec for the UHF range as 470-862MHz.
That's fine.

b) the two Maplins models are the same price - is there any reason not to
simply buy the 8-way one?

Probably not. My own amp is looking a bit iffy, but I wasn't keen on what
seemed to be the somewhat high gain quoted on the Maplin units - they
claim
12dB per output. Fine if your signal is somewhat weak, but if you are
distributing the signal (as I do) from the digibox and VCR chained
together,
then each of these has in turn typically added a small boost already. My
Taylor unit says 2dB on it - it's basically just distributing and only
amplifying in the sense that 8 outputs from 1 input does require
amplification. There have been times when I have found a 6dB attenuator
on
the amp input has reduced some noticeable noise and visible artifacts.

--
For the words of the profits were written on the studio wall.

I wish I knew how you found that out in 1 minute's googling - I've hunted
high and low and can't find it - any google tips?

Meanwhile I went to Maplins and bought a slightly different model (it's what
they had in stock) the L24AG, which is one of those ones with a digital
by-pass. Anyway, I've plugged it in and now my picture is near PERFECT on
all TVs. So the old amplifier was faulty for whatever reason.

Incidentally, this model has a gain of 6dB on each output. I'm distributing
the signal from the loft, near the aerial. I don't know about this digital
by-pass thing as we have cable TV.

Thanks everybody for all the help.
--
Change red to blue in email address.