Default RCA TV model F32450, Ch. ATC113CA1 just clicks

I scoped the collector of the HOT while attempting power on. It peaked
at only around 600V and looked pretty bad. After replacing the
transformer the set worked fine. I again looked at the collector
waveform. It exceeded my graticule even with he X10 probe but I
estimated it to be around 1200Vpp with good symetry. Isn't it odd
though that the transistor was spared? BTW, just for my own edification
I did some comparison resistance readings (excluding of course the HV
winding), between the new and old transformers while they were both out
of circuit. There were some very minor descrepancies on two of the LV
secondaries in the order of tenths of an ohm but other than that noting
jumped out at me. Does anyone know exactly what fails in these things?
Thanks for all the help and advice. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.