mac davis

Default Bandsaw: Craftman and Ridgid identical ?

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:01:32 GMT, "World Traveler" wrote:

A few years ago, an article in Forbes magazine said that Home Depot had
out-maneuvered Sears and started used the Craftsman OEM (Emerson) to
manufacture tools, putting them under the Ridgid logo. The Ridgid tablesaw
that I bought at that time sure looked like the earlier Craftsman items --
in fact, HD was giving a $100 trade-in to everyone who turned in a Sears
tablesaw and bought a Ridgid. This forced Sears to go to a new supplier.

The Ridgid line of tools uses the name from Ridge Road plumbing supplies,
with HD manipulating things behind the scenes. (HD did a similar operation
for a couple of years in the '90s, when they started to market lawn tractors
built by John Deere, under the "Scotts" logo.)

So the "new" Ridgid came from the manufacturer of the "old" Craftsman . . .
or so I've read -- Regards --

"SBO" wrote in message
news
I look for a 14' bandsaw. I saw that Craftman professional and Ridgid seem
to be the same. Is this the same thing?

S.B.

As I understand it, the ridged and grizzly 14" BS's are identical and made by
the chiwanese... the craftsman doesn't look anything like my ridged, except for
the size of the wheels..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing