SomeBody

Default Brazing help?

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:42:37 +0000, Gary Brady wrote:

Would things improve if I used MAPP gas instead of propane?
I hadn't thought about the scale on the plate? Will grind it down to bare
metal and look for a lower melting rod, instead of the bronze(?) rod I
bought. I do have some insulating kiln bricks that I could make a small
furnace to heat the items. I will used my "Monster" Reil type burner to
heat the items.

Great info and advice, thanks.

SomeBody wrote:

[quoted text muted]

All surfaces to be brazed need to be ground or sanded to bare metal.
Must be clean! No oil or scale. Also flux must be used. Mix a little
powdered flux in water to a thick paste and apply with a small brush
where you want your brazing metal to adhere. Thirdly, I don't think
your torch is hot enough. I always oxy-acetylene for brazing, never had
luck with propane.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

--