Don Bruder

Default metal in the microwave (was " cleaning NOS cutting torch tips")

In article ,
"RAM^3" wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

I'm from the caveman days.... *metal* in the microwave??????
Ken.

I do not understand this. I've always heard if you put metal in the
microwave that it would cause a spark. However, for years I have put small
pieces of metal FULLY IMMERSED IN A CLEANING SOLUTION in the microwave,
and nothing bad has ever happened. I think the resistivity of the liquid
covering it may be enough to limit the current which would otherwise flow
in the metal.

GWE

It depends upon the microwave: I once had a Litton MW that could handle up
to 3/4" metal. This enabled me to "cook" the old aluminum-panned TV dinners.

The one I have now will make sparks on the metallic trim of a dish.

A extremely large factor (perhaps the most significant of all factors)
in all cases is "How much metal stuff relative to not-metal stuff is
present in the cavity?"

*EVERY* microwave I've ever encountered will produce a "lightning storm"
if it's loaded with "mostly metal" and powered up.

*MOST* microwaves I've encountered will cope just fine with *SMALL
AMOUNTS* of metal accompanied by *LARGE AMOUNTS* of not-metal.

Then there are the tiny handful of units I've encountered that are
either mis-tuned, or have ultra-huge power outputs, where even a missed
snippet of the tinfoil-backed paper wrapper still stuck to the packaging
will make a lightshow (and possibly even a fire) that'll scare the
bejeebers out of you as you frantically jab at the stop button.

In the "fully immersed" scenario mentioned above, the quantity of
cleaning solution is sufficient to overcome the metal's presence,
resulting in a "no issues" situation. The Litton mentioned above was
probably a low-power unit - I'd bet on it being under 700 watts, if not
lower.

The "metallic trim" unit is probably a combination of high power and the
exact shape of the metal in the trim - Some shapes won't spark in a
microwave at any power level, no matter how hard you try. Other shapes -
particularly those with "points" or "spines", will start sparking
instantly when the power is turned on.

When you get right down to where the rubber hits the road, it all
depends on how the material in question resonates in the microwave
frequency bands. Water (which is what microwaves are tuned for)
resonates quite nicely, and the radio energy gets turned into heat.
Metal resonates differently, if at all, and the radio energy becomes
electrical arcs.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.