RAM^3

Default metal in the microwave (was " cleaning NOS cutting torch tips")

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

I'm from the caveman days.... *metal* in the microwave??????
Ken.

I do not understand this. I've always heard if you put metal in the
microwave that it would cause a spark. However, for years I have put small
pieces of metal FULLY IMMERSED IN A CLEANING SOLUTION in the microwave,
and nothing bad has ever happened. I think the resistivity of the liquid
covering it may be enough to limit the current which would otherwise flow
in the metal.

GWE

It depends upon the microwave: I once had a Litton MW that could handle up
to 3/4" metal. This enabled me to "cook" the old aluminum-panned TV dinners.

The one I have now will make sparks on the metallic trim of a dish.