Joshua Putnam

Default Installing Secure Lock in File Cabinet

In article ,
says...
My file cabinet is ordinary, four drawer, with a punched spot for
installing a lock. I've never done it, so my first question is how to
remove the metal where the lock will be installed.

Second question, is there a lock available (preferably on the Internet)
that can be opened with a key but cannot be opened by locksmith? Want
one that is pick-proof.

My "secure" file cabinets are surplus from classified-materials
storage at a government contractor. Forget the pretty little cabinet
lock, weld a steel strap hinge the full height of the cabinet, with a
hasp on one of the front rails, so that the strap hinge blocks the
front of every drawer. Even at that, you're still relying on a
padlock that can be picked, cut, or bludgeoned off of the cabinet, so
it's only one layer of a multi-layer protection for important
documents.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/