James Sweet

Default Thermal Grease/Adhesive (?)

"CitizenRuth" wrote in message
news
I needed to replace a switch on back of my HR824 powered speaker.
Behind the speaker is a metal enclosure which has power amplifiers and
other circuitry. After removing the main back metal enclosure, I
realized that the circuit board and heatsinks were attached to an inner
metal frame which was screwed to the outer frame. After removing the
screws, the thing wouldn't budge, until I realized it was "glued" on and
I was able to yank it off with some effort.

The adhesive is white and greasy. It attaches the circuit board frame
to the outer frame by glueing 2 heatsink rails to the outer frame, for
more heat dissipation I assume (these are pretty powerful speakers, with
2 amps per speaker).

I learned about some stuff that's called Thermal Adhesive, but
apparently that stuff is supposed to be permanent, so mine can't be
that. I read that grease has no adhesive properties, so it's not that
either.

Maybe it doesn't matter, if I don't have to clean the old and apply new
- that would be great! I don't really see why I can't just screw the
frames together and leave the old stuff where it is.

But if I have to clean and reapply, can you please help me to 1)
identify the compound and 2) figure out how to clean off the old stuff.

Very, very much obliged!

It's heatsink grease, you can get it anywhere that sells electronic
components, even Radio Shack has it in little tubes.