Dick Pewthers

Default Wood filler for mesquite

My cousin has a business in south Texas that builds almost nothing but
mesquite furniture. He uses duct tape to tape off areas that require
filling that might otherwise run out. He then mixes a two-part epoxy (he
uses System Three). He tints it black with black acrylic paint.

todd

Thanks for the feedback. The first thing I tried was taping the backside
and then pouring in the epoxy/acrylic mixture.

a) Since the cracks and crevices run with the grain, sometimes for as much
as a foot or more, they never seem to fill up.

b) The mess caused by doing it is unbelievable. Once the crack is full, it
spills over onto the surface.

c) The filler will not absorb into the crack instantly. Instead, it just
sits there and eventually oozes into the crack. Then, you have to go back
and pour in some more. When the crack is full (and I have no way of knowing
when that is) I pour on some more and it runs all over the surrounding
surface.

d) Doing it this way is the messiest thing I believe I have ever done. It
gets all over the tabletop, the work surface, me, and anything I touch
during (and after) the process.

There has GOT to be a thicker, less messy, alternative. That's why I was
thinking that FAMOWOOD, darkened with the acrylic, could be used like
spackle. Has anyone tried it?

Dick