Martin H. Eastburn

Default Capacitor start motor help please

Sure the new cap wasn't shorted ? Shorted it drives the coil only and would
be slow starting without the kick. Does it have a switch ? working ?
The cap if functional - bet that is it!!! - cap is ok - switch is shorted.
Then it is in start mode all of the time with extra kick current and
overheats - runs slow due to copper heating and perhaps excessive flux.

Bet the switch is the real issue. The start/run on the rotor one.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:00:55 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:25:12 GMT, tesnow@whidbeyDOTcom (Eric R Snow)
wrote:

I have a grinder that has been in the box for a little over six years
now. I bought it new a couple weeks before I had an accident that laid
me up for a while and it got put in the shed and forgotten until
today. After unpacking it I plugged it in and turned it on. It was
very slow to come up to speed. Thinking it might be bearings devoid of
lubrication which would make it hard to spin that's the first thing I
ckecked. The bearings are as they should be when new , even though
they have been idle for 6 years. Next suspect is the starting
capacitor. If it was totally shot the motor would just hum and
vibrate. But I was wondering if it could be going bad instead of being
completely bad. Does this happen to motor starting caps? And if it
does, would this make the motor take a long time accelerating uop to
speed?
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

Yes, electrolytic start caps can dry out. Easy to check, they're
cheap. Yes, if the cap were weak it would start slowly, and draw a
lot of current while struggling up to speed.

As someone else suggested, make sure you're applying the right
voltage.

I have a 6" Heavy Duty Baldor grinder that recently started to run hot
then gently waft out smoke. I flipped it upside down, replaced the
start cap with an identical one..and it still does it.

What could be the cause? Bearings are free wheeling of course. It
starts slow..and runs slow.

Do I need a rewind? (Cringe)

I dont think there is a start switch inside, though Ive not pulled the
bells.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner