Eric R Snow

Default Capacitor start motor help please

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:59:36 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:

It has the correct voltage. The motor is not a dual voltage motor.
There is only one correct way to wire it and it is wired that way. It
may be that if the end bells were removed there would be wires that
could be changed for 220 but the paperwork states that it is a 120
volt grinder. Once up to speed it has plenty of torque. It just takes
a long time to get there. I'll try a new cap.

Some grinders, like the little Baldor you own (that came from me) are not
capacitor start squirrel cage motors, rather they are split-phase motors with a
run cap permanently in the circuit. These can take longer to start, and often I
used to give a wheel a little spin just before I flicked the switch.

Those will start more slowly the bigger the inertial load they see. In other
words, if yours starts a lot faster with no wheels on it, then slows down when
you put max size wheels on it, it might be a PSC motor.

GWE

Grant,
I'm brain dead. Must be. I just read a couple months ago for the
fourth or fifth time a book about electric motors. And of course it's
a cap run motor. If it was a cap start it would still have a
centrifigul switch. I have some run caps hanging around. I'll swap one
and see what happens.
Eric