Andy Wade

Default 60's tape recorder track selector meaning

wrote:

From what I recall, it looked very similar to the Phillips Compact
Cassette, but was slightly bigger and totally incompatible. Although
being Grundig, it was beautifully engineered.

That's right - "slightly bigger and totally incompatible" sums it up to
a T. I had a school friend who had such a machine and kept going on
about how much better than it was than the Philips, which was probably
true, c.f. Betamax v. VHS...

Thanks for confirming that is was Grundig.

The Elcaset I well remember; a nice idea but much too late. It gets a
mention in Wikipedia's list of commercial failures at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_flops

--
Andy