Lobster

Default New boiler in kitchen wall cupboards

wrote:

First: strictly speaking there is currently insufficient clearance
between the front of the boiler and the door.

Depends on the boiler specifications, but the gap can often be
surprisingly small with modern boilers.

Second: I believe it
used to be possible to buy shallower boilers that would solve the
clearance problem, but now new boiler installations have to be
condensing types (is this correct?) and these tend to be deeper.

Yes condensing boilers are now required except in exceptional
circumstances (basically only when they are impossible to install for
some reason). They are usually (always?) deeper than the comparable
non-condensing model; there may be some around which fit behind standard
cupboard doors?

- get some deeper wall cupboards and replace the current cupboards, but
keeping the doors. This sounds like the best option: if I am going to
have to faff around anyway, we might as well get a bit of useful extra
storage out of it. I'll still have to do the coving as in the last
option. The main problem I see here is that I'm not sure it is even
possible to get deeper wall cupboards. All I have seen are in standard
300mm depth. I would also need the taller type that we have now.

You could always go for a tower/larder unit - they are typically 600mm
deep, ie full worktop width. Don't know if that would work with your
kitchen though.

David