ameijers

Default Installing Secure Lock in File Cabinet

"Norminn" wrote in message
clipped

I agree. Most file cabinet locks are easily defeated. I have gained

access
to several just by straightening a paperclip and put a bump at the end

of
it. Rake it across the pins in the lock with some rotational force on

the
lock tumbler and it opens sickeningly easily. I'm interested in knowing

how
a key lock can be pick-proof. Perhaps with some electronics installed

like
the GM resistance chip? I don't think it's possible to make a pick-proof
lock that can be opened with a key.

I didn't expect to find it, but thought I would ask ) My next
question would be a door lock. Touch-pad combinations (interior)
easy to break?

Just what are you trying to keep secret? :^\

Unless it is a solid-core or steel door, in a steel or reinforced hardwood
frame, the only thing a combo lock protects against is a sneak thief. If
someone is there after hours, a boot on the doorknob will shatter the
frame/door, and open the door. A fancy lock will just attract their
attention. I'd use a solid-core door with a thick jamb, and long screws
holding it to the wall, and a commercial-grade deadbolt lock with a long
throw. Maybe mount a 'Janitor' sign on the outside....

Is this a residential or office setting? Different tricks for different
audiences.

aem sends...