Olaf

Default Installing Secure Lock in File Cabinet

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"Norminn" wrote in message
My file cabinet is ordinary, four drawer, with a punched spot for
installing a lock. I've never done it, so my first question is how to
remove the metal where the lock will be installed.

Put a screwdriver on it near the edge and top with a hammer.

Second question, is there a lock available (preferably on the Internet)
that can be opened with a key but cannot be opened by locksmith? Want

one
that is pick-proof.

No. File cabinet lock are really pretty cheap. A good amateur can get

one
open and surely a locksmith can. If your material is that valuable, get a
more secure setup like a safe. Of course, even a safe can be opened by a
pro.

I agree. Most file cabinet locks are easily defeated. I have gained access
to several just by straightening a paperclip and put a bump at the end of
it. Rake it across the pins in the lock with some rotational force on the
lock tumbler and it opens sickeningly easily. I'm interested in knowing how
a key lock can be pick-proof. Perhaps with some electronics installed like
the GM resistance chip? I don't think it's possible to make a pick-proof
lock that can be opened with a key.