Teamcasa

Default Smooth Plane

"Tattooed and Dusty" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,
I am sure this will be a somewhat futile post, but here goes. After
fooling around with many a couple well used hand planes, and a couple
new japanese style planes, I think I am ready to purchase a "brand new"
No 4 smooth plane. I am trying to decide between a Veritas and the
Lie-Nielson. I have a couple Veritas planes, and have been very happy
with them, and a rabbet block plane from LN, which is frankly just
alright. I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on the Veritas
and end up wishing I had coughed up the little more for the LN. At the
same time if there is no difference that's four K-body clamps from
leevalley this month...

I have to say I really wish there was a Lee Valley store in Portland,
as I like to touch expensive things before buying them, and as I played
with the LN seems only fair. Alright Any thoughs?

Thanks so much in advance, and I look forward to hearing what you guys
think

Andrew

Both planes are terrific, I own a few of each and after working with each, I
lean only slightly towards the Lie-Nielson. They just feel so good in the
hands. Maybe it is because they cost more, but I usually grab the LN when I
want to insure a smooth slice.

You will be happy with either. I'll second the Steve Knight plane, I have
his coffin smother and its a great plane.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com