Mike Marlow

Default Some Thought On Intelligent Design - WAS: OT Is George Bush Drinking?

"Steve Peterson" wrote in message
ink.net...

If ID is only the initiator of the Big Bang, the hard line anti-ID
folks may not have a problem since everything we observe came after, and

the
designer is moved out of the realm of science. On the other hand, if the
designer keeps being involved, the creationists may be happy, especially

if
the world is only about 6000 years old.

Precision counts Steve. You should value that. Creationists believe in
creation and a creator. They do not universally believe in a young earth or
the other teachings of the Institute for Creation Research. ICR is a very
focused, separate group within the agregate of Creationists. Creationists
believe in ID by definition but they do not necessarily ascribe to the
teachings of ICR. To misuse the term as you do is akin to lumping all
scientists together and held accountable for the blunderous research of a
group of Biologists. Within the camp of Creationists some tend to
differentiate themselves from the ICR group by referring to the ICR group as
"Young Earth Creationists". For all that has been posted in these threads
about ID not being in conflict with an old universe, evolution (by
definition), scientific principles, etc. it's somewhat surprising to see you
continue to comitt this slip.

Everyone else can fit themselves in
wherever they want. ID just has to show where there are examples of

things
that can only have come about through supernatural intervention. We are
still waiting.

Oh come now. Science has proven to no better degree that life as we know it
today evolved from a single cell that just happened to pop up in a pond of
ooze. Why then place such a burden of proof on ID?

The more practical question is if ID should be taught in the school
curriculum. I think it still has to establish a scientific case before it
can be taught as science.

I don't think it should be taught as science. But then again, much more
than science is taught in school. And... whether the scientific community
really likes it or not, more than just a little bit of "religion" is taught
in the sciences classes of America.

--

-Mike-