Dave Hinz

Default Small engine head gasket material?

On 10 Oct 2005 10:34:04 -0700, andy wrote:

I have been unable to locate a factory gasket, and plan on making one.
Any suggestions for a suitable material would be helpful.

I've read of, but never tried, using sheet copper of the appropriate
thickness (0.30"? 0.50"?), and cutting it to be the new gasket. Anneal
before installing.

One thought I had was to try to incorporate a piece of flattened copper
wire around the perimeter of the combustion chamber with some gasket
material sealing up around the bolt holes and coolant passages. Any one
have any luck with this "hybrid" approach?

Sealant on a head gasket sounds like your next point of failure. Lots
of differential expansion/contraction going on right around there, due
to all the temperature differences.

Dave Hinz