Don Foreman

Default Capacitor start motor help please

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:25:12 GMT, tesnow@whidbeyDOTcom (Eric R Snow)
wrote:

I have a grinder that has been in the box for a little over six years
now. I bought it new a couple weeks before I had an accident that laid
me up for a while and it got put in the shed and forgotten until
today. After unpacking it I plugged it in and turned it on. It was
very slow to come up to speed. Thinking it might be bearings devoid of
lubrication which would make it hard to spin that's the first thing I
ckecked. The bearings are as they should be when new , even though
they have been idle for 6 years. Next suspect is the starting
capacitor. If it was totally shot the motor would just hum and
vibrate. But I was wondering if it could be going bad instead of being
completely bad. Does this happen to motor starting caps? And if it
does, would this make the motor take a long time accelerating uop to
speed?
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

Yes, electrolytic start caps can dry out. Easy to check, they're
cheap. Yes, if the cap were weak it would start slowly, and draw a
lot of current while struggling up to speed.

As someone else suggested, make sure you're applying the right
voltage.