John Girouard

Default Cursed Project...

D Steck wrote:
My claim to fame is on injuring my thumb when making a mortise is when I
pulled the safety cap off the chisel after installing it in the mortiser.
My hand hit the table hard, I reacted late to the hand hitting the table,
and instead of using the muscles to stop the hand from hitting the table, I
fired the muscles after the bounce off the table and proceeded to accelerate
my hand back into the chisel.

What takes real talent is injuring yourself within a nano second of removing
a safety device.

I did almost that exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. I had gotten a
1/2" chisel clamped down a little too good in the Veritas honing guide (the
older one), and was fighting with the knob. It suddenly loosened, my hand
hit the workbench and jerked back towards the chisel. Nice clean cut on the
back of one of my fingers. Fun times.

-John