Set Square

Default To strip or replace skirting boards????

Mara Sheldon wrote:

To save ourselves time and energy, I thought we'd ask you guys
first...... Whilst struggling with a hot air paint stripper to strip
our existing skirting boards of paint, and melting the tiles around
the edges of the room in the process, I was wondering whether the
effort of stripping the existing skirting boards and trying to save
the tiles, (in the whole of our 2 bedroom flat) is actually
worthwhile, or whether it would be more cost-effective to just pull
the existing skirting boards out and replace the whole lot??? We will
need to replaster all the walls anyway since we have just rewired
everything. Any thoughts??
TIA

Mara

Unless the skirting needs to be anything fancy - and therefore expensive -
replace it, particularly as you're re-plastering. You'll probably damage the
walls getting the old stuff off if it's nailed on in the conventional way -
but the plaster will cover the damage. Stick the new stuff on with Gripfill,
and fill any slight gaps along the top with decorator's caulk before **
painting.

** Actually, when I did my hallway - which included new hardwood flooring, I
painted the new skirting *before* fitting it so as not to get any paint on
the floor - and just touched up the paint, as necessary, after fitting.
--
Cheers,
Set Square