Hugh

Default To strip or replace skirting boards????

"Mara Sheldon" wrote in message
To save ourselves time and energy, I thought we'd ask you guys first......
Whilst struggling with a hot air paint stripper to strip our existing
skirting boards of paint, and melting the tiles around the edges of the
room in the process, I was wondering whether the effort of stripping the
existing skirting boards and trying to save the tiles, (in the whole of
our 2 bedroom flat) is actually worthwhile, or whether it would be more
cost-effective to just pull the existing skirting boards out and replace
the whole lot??? We will need to replaster all the walls anyway since we
have just rewired everything. Any thoughts??
TIA

Mara

I'd suggest removing all skirting boards - then skim the walls, then fit new
skirtings - that what we do when refurbishing a property - you'll find you
need quite a bit of filler!
Just a tip, if you want a period look - I use 6 x 1 timber (or 7x1 for a
larger room - even bigger if you want) and sit 2'' ogee architrave on the
top - looks good and works out cheap.
Plain 6x1 for bathrooms, kitchens, and smaller rooms.
Hugh