Wes.

Default https not working on Windwos XP SP2 laptop

snip

It was only when we tried to go to the Windows Update site to get the rest
of the most recent updates that we noticed that it would not browse any
https (secure) sites at all. I've verified that there is no proxy set and
that the firewall, Internet security, and advanced settings appear to be
good by comparing them to a working machine on the same DSL connection.

snip

Bob

Hi Bob,

Best place to start is to look at the event logs on your son's PC. Then
compare what services are started on you good XP when connected, to what you
sons Xp is using when trying to connect.

Wes.