Default Iron Gates: worth making ? (was: worth anything?)

Haymish wrote:
Hi all

We have some iron gates that used to span our driveway. There are three
sections, two of which are hinged in the middle. Each section is about 4 ft
wide and 4ft high. They are in need of wire brushing and painting and both
supports were cut off at ground level with an angle grinder. I was going to
scrap them but someone said they might be worth something. What do you
think?

Anyone know of a reclamation yard near Telford / Shropshire that might pay
something for them?

Too far away for me, and i'm after a set of reasonably secure gates for
my driveway. About 6 ft tall and hard to break down/cut through.

Are these worth making to spec or getting a mannufacturing metalworker
to do it ?

I suppose it depends on the availability of cheap steel, anyone got any
plans or specs of steel (i.e. tube thickness) required ? I would
imagine that they'd be fairly easy to fabricate, but might looks a bit
'industrial' in my case (with my welding skills ...) ! Not after any
fancy swirls or 'wrought' features.

Alternatively anyone have any, or know a source of cheap gates in the
Hampshire area ?! Std driveway width (8ft ?)

Cheers

Paul.