Lobby Dosser

Default Musing about rcw

(Arch) wrote:

I hope you will forgive this temporary OT digression from the wit &
words about the best lathe, the best tool, the best technique offered
by the best informed with the best angst.

I enjoy the discourse on rcw. It needs no monitor nor pictures and I
wonder if pics of pots and the posts of praise that usually follow may
sometimes hinder good repartee and innovative thinking. Is a picture
of a turning always worth a thousand words about turning?

Visuals have a necessary place, but do any of you agree that written
words might sometimes better inform and entertain than pics and
videos?

"...[i]f a new technology extends one or more of our senses outside us
into the social world, then new ratios among all of our senses will
occur in that particular culture. It is comparable to what happens when
a new note is added to a melody. And when the sense ratios alter in any
culture then what had appeared lucid before may suddenly become opaque,
and what had been vague or opaque will become translucent. (Gutenberg
Galaxy 1962, p. 41)" Marshall McLuhan

Enough of this OT digression, back to our ng. What do you think is
the best ten dollar lathe for a 84 year old COC and average turner who
got his first Sears Dunlap in 1937 when a shallow bowl was considered
to be a deep hollow form? Oh, never mind.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter