Tim Daneliuk

Default Some Thought On Intelligent Design - WAS: OT Is George Bush Drinking?

wrote:

SNEEP

A man is voluntarily entering into
a compact to protect *his own* liberty. i.e. He derives
benefit from the government's "taking".

So what if 'a' man voluntarily enters into that cokmpact?
What about another man who does not? What justification
was there to tax a man in in Maine to protect Arizonans
from Poncho Villa?

There isn't one prima facia. In fact, that's approximately what the
founding documents of the US supported. A relatively weak central
government and the bulk of power/taxation etc. to be vested regionally
(aka the States). Until the end of the Civil War, that's more-or-less
how it was. From the end of that war until this very day, the balance
of power has been shifting from the States (where we have more
direct control as voters and can do things tailored to our
local situtation) to the Federal government which causes the
situation you bemoan.

*I'm* certainly not going to fall for a Nigerian 419 scam,

No, but you might fall prey to a more (or less) subtle one. The laws regarding
fraud/force/threat are typically broader than just any single expression
thereof - well they used to be - and thus potentially protect your
interests of personal liberty by whatever means is used to harm you. No,
you probably won't fall for a 419, but if you do become victimized by a
..357 in the hands of a criminal robbing you, you just *might* want to
legitimate the power of government to interdict and/or remediate the
situation.

why should my tax money be spent to fight fraud?

There is clearly some legitimate debate about just how wide ranging the
whole interdiction of fraud/force/threat ought to be, and just who
(Feds, State, County, City) should do it. Articulating the principle I
did doesn't just make every question of that sort disappear. But we are
so far beyond all that, it doesn't matter. The Elder Moochers and the
City Below The Sea Moochers are just two trenchant examples of many that
demonstrate that the new American Assumption for everything is "It's The
Government's Job."

Tim Daneliuk

PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/