James Sweet

Default Average Joe need line conditioner?

"Dave M." wrote in message
As many of us know in the electrical/electronics world, all home
electronics equipment has a form of filtering associated with the a.c.
line and/or the filtered d.c. down the path. Series noise filtering can
be a line transformer as you would find on better equipment or an rc
network as found on direct line connected equipment.

I see these "line conditioners" in the stereo/tv stores selling for as
much as $500.00 to $1500.00. These units clean-up noise as well as
stabilize the 120 volt line voltage.

As I have come to understand, the need for these units is grossly
exaggerated by salesmen to unsuspecting customers, as the line noise
levels are already reduced to acceptable levels in the tvs/stereos in
general.

Yes they're mostly snake oil, since just about any equipment steps down the
line voltage with a transformer, rectifies it and filters it interally you'd
have to have a LOT of noise on the line to cause any problems, especially
for better equipment with well regulated supplies.