Tom

Default Cleaning router bits with bearings.

On 6 Oct 2005 08:29:54 -0700, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

Is it ok to just soak your bearing guided router bits in Simple Green
do you think? I just don't want to ruin the bearings.

As you indicated in a subsequent post you found that this is not a
good idea. CW has indicated that these bearings are shielded not
sealed and there seems to be some confusion. Shielded bearings have a
metal shield which seals in the lubricant and seals out contaminants
but it does not contact the inner race so they are suitable for larger
particulate matter but virtually worthless for liquids. Sealed
bearings are available in contact and non-contact versions. The
non-contact version has a "rubber" ( I'll use "rubber" as seals are
made from a variety of materials depending on the application) seal
which normally rides inside a groove in the inner race and provides
better sealing than a shield but is still not effective for liquids.
The most common version of a sealed bearing has a "rubber" seal that
rides in contact with the inner race and provides the best protection
against contaminates - including liquids. The drawback to this seal
design is that the seal generates friction which increases torque but
most importantly generates heat which limits its operating speed. For
this reason (as well as cost) you will find these bearings to be
shielded and I would question any supplier who identifies them as
sealed (it's possible but unlikely). Also, bearings which are sealed
or shielded are lubed for life which means the lubricant is intended
to outlast the reasonable life of the bearing and they are not
designed to be relubricated. Hope this helps a little.