Fred

Default incandescent lights not *that* bad?

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
Fred wrote:

Many years ago I was told the overall efficiency of generating power was
in the order of 25% taking into account generating and transmission
efficiencies. Does anyone have a link for overall electricity generation
efficiency in the UK.

I found this, when I didn't beleive OG's figures. Seems he does know what
he's talking about.

http://www-g.eng.cam.ac.uk/mmg/envir...al/young2.html

Andy

I've read the article and recall in the 80's the maximum efficiency from a
power station was 42%. Nevertheless the average was brought down by other
power stations which included coal fuelled stations. Ironically the older
and less efficient stations produced the cheapest electricity from a
financial point of view because the capital value was already written off.
I thought these older stations were around 30% efficiency. However the loss
of transmission was considerable to bring the overall efficiency down to
25%. I am talking of the 80's.

More recently many old coal fuelled stations have either been scrapped or
converted to oil. Also the combined-cycle generation is far more efficient.
However few articles include transmission efficiency which perhaps is a more
embarrassing issue. I see no reason to doubt the efficiency of the article
in the Pete C's post of 36%.