Kalico

Default Combi Condensing boiler

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:06:13 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Kalico" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:47:58 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:33:06 -0700, darren_forward wrote:

Hi everyone, Ive norrowd my choice of new boiler down to two models
Alpha CD32C and Ideal Isar 30. This is to replace my dead Servowarm
boiler.

Anyone have any experiance of the two models, who could give me their
experiance of either.

Early Isar models had problems but I have fitted one and it has been

fine.
Most installers who have worked on offerings from these two makers

would
rate Ideal as the better built.

Alpha are giving 5 year guarantees on their models having upped quality.
Not so long ago B Gas would not sell the Istar and Icos they were so

bad.
Matter have changed there too. I would rate them about the same.

I would go with the one with the longer guarantee, assuming all else
equal. My experience of combi boilers (and I have a few in rented
properties) is that they are certain to break down within 3 weeks of
the guarantee running out.

Buy the best quality. The same in buying any product.

I used to use that maxim, but now with combi boilers look to the
guarantee.

All plumbers I've spoken to swear by the Worcester Bosch ranges and
indeed they are usually a little more expensive than the others.
However, out of all the ones I've fitted in the rented houses, guess
which brand has had the most failures!

I was also told years ago that Potterton were a good brand since many
of the parts that were plastic in other boilers were brass in the
Potterton. Not sure about that but I know they stink when it comes to
customer service. 18 month old boiler needing a new heat exchanger?
I think not. A clear case of a Friday afternoon machine to me,
but they would offer nothing towards a replacement.

I last fitted a Saunier Duval cheapo on the basis of a policy change
to fitting cheaper units and then replacing when they develop a fault
(yes, that is how bad it has got). Interestingly, it's been fine
with no problems whatsoever.

Maybe just my experience of the damn things though. I have to say I
am not too impressed with combi boilers. The old multipoint heaters
used to go on for years and we had a floor standing Ideal Mexico in
use for 32 years before it packed up, but I guess combis are a lot
more complicated.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply