chris French

Default condensation on new double glazed windows...

In message . com,
writes
If there is inadequate ventilation there will
be more condensation on the DG windows than you would have had with SG
windows, due to the higher humidity levels.

Even when we replaced our old draughty wooden windows (they had louvre
vents that wre very draughty...) with UPVC DG we didn't get more
condensation. A little bits sometimes, esp. on the bedroom windows, but
nothing worth wiping off, certainly it never pooled at the bottom like
before.

I guess replacing all the windows, doors etc. and other gaps could leave
a house with a ventilation problem.

One (stupid) answer to this prob is 'the de-humidifier' - an item which
was virtually never heard of until double glazing and it's probs
emerged. A more sensible answer is to open the windows a bit, and keep
a window-leather and bucket handy to wipe off condensation.

But yes I agree proper ventilation is important. Other than humans (and
their pets) kitchens and bathrooms are the main sources. and extractor
hood/fan in the kitchen deals with that, as does one in the bathroom.
Our humidistat operated one worked well.
--
Chris French