Norminn

Default Paint Won't Stick to Plaster

John Grabowski wrote:
"New Remodeler" wrote in message
oups.com...

We have a 1920s home with plaster walls. We took the wallpaper off,
scraped the wallpaper paste, and washed with TSP. It did not look like
the walls had ever been painted. We then compounded the cracks,
sanded, and washed with water. Then we applied Behr latex primer and
two coats of Behr latex paint. It looks great, but when we tape
between ceiling and wall, say, some of the paint comes off with the
tape. HELP! What can we do about this?

Stop using Behr paint for one thing. Let the paint dry for a few days
before applying masking tape. I assume that you are using masking tape and
not duct tape. Don't leave the masking tape on longer then you need it.

Good advice. Hope you are using painter's tape - blue stuff? It is
risky putting it on new paint, but a few days and careful removal work
for me. Tape should not be left until the paint dries; should be
removed right away. Pull it carefully back on itself, not straight out
from the surface. Lucky you - plaster walls.

TSP must have been something, in the good old days. Now it is only TS-,
since they took out the phosphate )